Replace the hummus in my Middle Eastern Vegetarian Wrap recipe for a meat lovers version and you will have a wonderful smoky Grilled Chicken Shawarma Wrap that will having everyone asking for more!
Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- 1 1/2 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium white onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne or curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala or Josh Rogan Spice (Penzey's Spice)
- 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 slice lemon juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper California Pepper (Penzey's Spice)
- Mix all spices, oil, bouillon, lemon juice in large ziploc bag with sliced onion.
- Clean and pat dry chicken and place in a Ziploc bag with marinade mixture and mix well to coat chicken.
- Place sealed Ziploc bag in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight
- Grill chicken thighs on well oiled grill grates for approximately 6-8 minutes per side or until internal temperature of thickest part of thigh reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Save Marinade with onions.
- Optional: Bake chicken thighs in lightly oiled casserole dish at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Raise oven grate to broil position and place chicken on lightly oiled cookie sheet spreading out evenly and broil for approximate 5 -10 minutes until thickest part of thigh reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit and starts to form dark crispy edges.
- In small saucepan, on medium high heat, cook marinade with onions until mixture comes to a rolling boil and onions become translucent and caramelized. Add extra olive oil in pan if needed to accomplish.
- Remove chicken from grill or oven. Slice chicken into thin slices and add to cooked onions.
- Prepare my Middle Eastern Salad and Tzatziki Sauce from my Middle Eastern Vegetarian Wrap recipe and use the grilled chicken in replacement for the hummus .