Middle Eastern Vegetarian Wrap
I always crave Middle Eastern food when I am home in Northern Wisconsin. Multicultural fusion vegetarian restaurants are rarely found in the state, let alone in Northern Wisconsin; which is better known for fish frys, gastropub and supper club food. Spread your favorite hummus on a low carb pita or tortilla, then add a layer of my quick instant pot turmeric and curry rice, garnish with the cool and refreshing Persian mini cuke and tomato salad, and top with a generous portion of garlic tzatziki sauce. This wrap will have your taste buds jumping for joy and satisfying any vegetarian foodie like myself. Make some homemade falafels or chickpea shawarma to replace the hummus, and you can have a hearty protein-nutrient rich healthy wrap that will fuel your day.Note: I use mini Persian cukes or English cucumbers instead of regular cucumbers due to the low water content and I do not need to deseed or peel them. I recommend not using regular cucumbers in this particular recipe.
- Instant Pot
Tomato and Cuke Salad
- 3-4 each persian mini cukes may substitute English cuke
- 1/2 cup red onion slice small
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes halve
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp zatar seasoning
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/4 Cup Plain Full Fat Greek Yogurt I prefer Chobani yogurt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 lemon juiced and seeds removed
- 1/2 persian mini cuke mince
- 3 leaves mint washed, chevron and thinly slice
- salt and pepper to taste
Turmeric and Curry Rice
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice rinse rice until water runs clear, drain
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 container Roasted Garlic or Red Pepper Hummus your favorite store brand ( I use Sabra) or you can make your own
- 1 pkg Flax, Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Wraps Joseph's Middle East Bakery Brand or any low carb pita or tortilla wraps
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped) optional
Make Persian Cuke and Tomato Salad
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice and spices in a small bowl until well blended. Add cut up cukes, red onion and cherry tomatoes and mix thoroughly. Sit aside in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight to self marinade.
Make Tzatziki Sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a separate bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. You can strain your greek yogurt if it is watery. I prefer Chobani yogurt and do not strain it.
- Combine all ingredients in instant pot and stir until well mixed. Cook in Instant Pot for 4 minutes on HIGH pressure with a 10 minute natural release.
- Gently stir and fluff rice
- Layer wrap or tortilla with 1-3 tbsp hummus, 1/4 cup cooked rice, 1-3 tbsp cuke/tomato salad, dollop of tzatziki sauce on top and sprinkle with cilantro (optional). Fold pita in half or fold tortilla like a burrito and Enjoy! I usually serve with a more tzatziki sauce on the side for dipping.
I like to make a non-vegetarian version of this wrap with Grilled Chicken Shawarma. You can find this separate recipe under Recipe/Main Dish called Chicken Shawarma Tacos.